Sunday, January 31, 2010

FRUITFUL

I am going to post my last two sermons....the first one I preached on January 17, the first in a series, enjoy....



Before I begin today’s message, I need to explain how this came to be. During my down time, after having my prostate removed, I was doing my bible reading, and I was reading Luke chapter 13. And as I was reading, God stopped me and had me reread the verses that I am about to share with you.

“FRUITFUL”
Luke 13:6-9

“Then he told this parable: "A man had a fig tree, planted in his vineyard, and he went to look for fruit on it, but did not find any. 7 So he said to the man who took care of the vineyard, 'For three years now I've been coming to look for fruit on this fig tree and haven't found any. Cut it down! Why should it use up the soil?' 8 "'Sir,' the man replied, 'leave it alone for one more year, and I'll dig around it and fertilize it. 9 If it bears fruit next year, fine! If not, then cut it down.'” (NIV)

After God had me to reread these verses 2 more times, He said this to me, He said,
“2010, LET THIS BE THE YEAR OF FRUITFULNESS.”
Now He did not say, “2010, The Year of Fruitfulness”, He said “Let this be the year of fruitfulness.” He said that it is a choice; that we must choose to be fruitful.

Let’s take a closer look at these verses. I want you to see how this relates to you. I want to show you today what God is saying to His Church, what He wants us to understand.

Jesus is talking and He says that “a man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard.”
Now the fig tree represents the human soul, it represents each one of us, and three years represents an ample amount of time.
The man went to the tree to pick some fruit off of it, but he found none. He said, “For three years now I've been coming to look for fruit on this fig tree and haven't found any. Cut it down! Why should it use up the soil?”
The vineyard owner expected to get good fruit off of the tree, but instead he received nothing, he turned to the man who actually took care of the vineyard and said, “For three years I have tried to get fruit off of this tree and I have received nothing, cut it down, it just sits here and soaks up water and sunshine and nutrients and gives nothing in return. I am sick and tires of looking at it; cut it down and burn it. It isn’t worth the space it takes up.”
But the vinedresser, the man who took care of the trees and vines said, “Master, let me try harder, I will feed the roots and prune it and water it and do everything that I can to get it to produce, and if it doesn’t produce fruit this year, then you can cut it down and throw it into the fire.”
Now we could say that the man who owned the vineyard represents God and the gardener is Jesus or maybe even pastors. We know that Jesus is our mediator, and we know that pastors are to shepherd the flock, so it makes sense. But more on that in a minute.
Let me ask you this;
Did you know that Jesus expects fruitfulness? Did you know that God expects fruitfulness?
Do you know that Jesus expects us to be fruitful, to be productive for His Kingdom?

There are 3 things I want you to see.

1. God Will Not Tolerate Unfruitfulness!
Matthew 21:18-19
“Early in the morning, as he was on his way back to the city, he was hungry. 19 Seeing a fig tree by the road, he went up to it but found nothing on it except leaves. Then he said to it, "May you never bear fruit again!" Immediately the tree withered.” (NIV)

Do you know why so many Christians are not happy, or live lives that are so empty? It is because they produce no fruit for the Kingdom of God! When we refuse to be productive for the Kingdom, when we refuse to produce we are miserable.

Matthew 3:8
“Produce fruit in keeping with repentance.” (NIV)
We need to produce fruit, time is short. If you don’t believe me take an honest look at what is going on in our world.
We have been warned.

Matthew 3:10
“The ax is already at the root of the trees, and every tree that does not produce good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire.” (NIV)
How long do you think God will give you to become fruitful?


2. God Wants You to be Fruitful!
John 15:1-8
"I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. 2 He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful.
Jesus expects fruitfulness!
3 You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. 4 Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.
Now He tells us how to be fruitful! 5 "I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. 6 If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. 7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you. 8 This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.” (NIV)
Why does Jesus want us to bear fruit? For the glory of God!

3. You Can Produce Fruit!

We are back in Matthew 21, Jesus has spoken to the fig tree and it has withered.
Matthew 21:20-22
“When the disciples saw this, they were amazed. "How did the fig tree wither so quickly?" they asked. 21 Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and it will be done. 22 If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.” (NIV)

So How Do We Become Fruitful?
Well we just read in Matthew 21 to have faith in God, we need to have faith that we can be fruitful, that God wants us to be fruitful, and we need to take action.
Matthew 7:7-8
“Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 8 For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.”
So we need to ask God to help us be fruitful, or if you are producing fruit to be more fruitful. Did you know that it is impossible to be fruitful the way that God wants us to be fruitful if we don’t ask God to help us? If we are not willing to ask, then we are not willing to be fruitful.
Then after we have faith that God wants us to be fruitful, and we ask Him to help us be fruitful, we need to seek ways to be fruitful for Him. If we have faith that God wants us to be fruitful, and we ask Him to help us be fruitful, but we never look for ways to be fruitful, will we be fruitful? NO!
It’s like a cartoon I saw once; these 4 guys are pushing this hotrod into the gas station. This car has been built to run, big motor with headers and a blower and an air scoop on top, a full race cam, torsion bars, wheelie bars, wide tires in the back for drag racing, beautiful paint and wheels.
And these guys push it up to the gas pumps and they start checking the air in the tires, oil in the motor, cleaning the glass, shinning the chrome, doing everything they can do, except put in gas.
The owner of the gas station is watching and he asks, “Aren’t you going to put in any gas?”
They say, “No, we spent so much on building the car, we can’t afford any gas.” And they push the car away. They looked good, but didn’t do anything!

If we believe that God wants us to be fruitful, we have faith, we ask Him to help us, but we never look for a place or a way to be fruitful, it’s like having the hotrod and no gas.
And then we need to knock on the door of service. When we have the faith, and we have God’s help, and we have found a place to be fruitful, we need to do it! We need to be involved, be active. A great way, is to teach, or be involved in our outreach, go with us to knock on doors. We need to put our fear behind us and walk in faith.
Ask, seek, and knock show a continuance action, showing that we are to keep it up.
We continue in verse 9; 9 "Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? 10 Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? 11 If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!” (NIV)

Do you know another reason we will not be fruitful? When we try to mix the ways of this world with God’s ways. Too many Christians today are trying to please their carnal nature and please God, it won’t work.
Last week we learned that the thing God is most concerned about in us is Obedience!
When we are obedient to God and His Word, everything else will fall in line.
Two weeks ago we talked about prayer. I want to close with this verse.

Matthew 18:19-20
“Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven. 20 For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them.” (NIV)

To be fruitful we must be obedient, and we need a prayer partner or group that will really fervently pray, that will not just say words but will pray until they get through.








1/17/2010

No comments: