Tuesday, February 9, 2010

BLESSING OR CURSE?

What is the responsibility of a church member?
We all know that the church has certain responsibilities to her members, like praying for you, providing spiritual leadership and guidance, biblical teaching and preaching, fellowship, friendship and love. But what are the responsibilities of the members of the church? Well Sunday morning Bible Study and Worship Attendance, a Public Testimony, to be involved in the ministries of the church and giving. Why do we give our time and money to the church? It is real easy to say, “This is my money, I worked for it and I will keep it.” Robert Morris said in his book, The Blessed Life, “There are over 500 verses in the Bible concerning prayer; nearly 500 verses concerning faith; but more than 2,000 verses on the subject of money and possessions.
Jesus talked about money in 16 of his 38 parables. Clearly, from the Bible’s standpoint, we need to understand money and how to handle it. Why? Because money is actually a test from God.
How you handle money reveals volumes about your priorities, loyalties and affections. In fact, it directly dictates many of the blessings you will (or won’t) experience in life.”
Did you know that the Bible says that we are not to test God, except when it comes to money. God tells us to give our tithes (10% of our income) and offering to the church. He says that if we will, we’ll be blessed, and if not we won’t be. God says in Malachi 3:10, “Bring all the tithes into the storehouse so there will be enough food in my Temple. If you do," says the LORD Almighty, "I will open the windows of heaven for you. I will pour out a blessing so great you won't have enough room to take it in! Try it! Let me prove it to you!” (NLT) There it is, a challenge from God Himself! He’s not only saying, “I dare you.” He’s saying “I triple dog dare you, go ahead and do it and see if I am not a God of my word.” Did you know that God takes pleasure in blessing you? Let me ask you a question, if you are a giver and you miss a week, say we have an ice storm and don’t have church, or you are gone or sick; do you still give for that week or do you feel like it’s yours to keep? If we do not give all of the tithe to God, He says that we are robbing Him in Malachi 3:8-9, He also says that because of this we are under a curse. Now let me think, Blessing or Curse, I choose Blessing, how about you?

No comments: