Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Storms of Life

The storms of life come quickly! They are unexpected most of the time, coming with little or no warning. Even when we do see them coming, it always seems to be more severe than we thought it would be.
That’s the way it was Wednesday evening, we heard it thunder, heard it beginning to rain, heard the wind pick up, then we heard the tornado sirens going off. We thought that we might leave but the wind was so strong we knew that we couldn’t. The wind at the airport was recorded at 102 mph, straight line winds. We lost out TV and the internet so we couldn’t check on what the storm was doing. We called Jody in Amarillo and he said that channel 10 was saying that police cars were being pushed around, tornado sirens were being blown over and a motel roof had collapsed. It turned out that the roof of the Childress Inn blew off and hit El Sombrero and then hit and damaged the Days Inn. Not only did the roof blow off but the front wall on the same rooms fell in, trapping some people inside, hurting several. Damage was reported all over town, no one prepared for this storm, no one said, “O I know that this storm will hit on Wednesday evening and do all of this damage so I better go and cut these tree limbs off so that they won’t break and work on my neighbors roof so that it won’t blow off in my yard. That way I’ll be prepared when this storm hits. Nobody knew that that storm would hit at that time on that night and be that bad. Some experts might have given warning right before it hit, but that still did not give time to prepare for it.
Nobody knew, except God! This did not take God by surprise, He knew who would be without power and who wouldn’t, He knew who would have damage and who wouldn’t, He knew that my roof was going to leak, even if it is only a year old. He knew!! He also knows what storms you are going through in your life, and just like last night, He will see us through.
When the storms of life are raging, Stand by me (stand by me); When the storms of life are raging, Stand by me (stand by me);When the world is tossing me, Like a ship upon the sea, Thou Who rulest wind and water, Stand by me (stand by me).
“Thou art with me.” Psalm 23:4

No comments: